Tuesday 26 June 2012

Glass Is Magical


My fascination for glass became apparent over the last year. I’ve always enjoyed glass paintings and drawings but my passion for glass only really came to the surface through my photography, whilst exploring the different light and optical qualities of the material and through varying colours, textures, patterns and reflections. 
During my diploma, I designed various patterns and forms which have an ability to disorientate the user by challenging their perception of depth and producing the sensation or illusion of movement. I imagined making these patterns in glass and in various scales.

Light, shadow and translucency are focal points in my architecture; glass becomes the material through which my immaterial architecture is created. The user can engage and play with the optical and illusionary qualities of the material as light is reflected and transmitted through it.
As part of my research, through hands on work and in order to gain a real understanding of glass as a material and its properties, I realised one of my designs in kiln cast glass. I initially wanted to work with clear glass to test out the pattern and its illusionary qualities without being distracted by colour.
I started the process by creating the MDF model shown below (Fig 1):
 
Fig 1  Original model in MDF showing interplay between depth perception and inversion.  
The play of ligt is enhanced by the relief pattern, creatings a contrast beween light and dark. Photo by Amy Bodiam

To realise this design in glass, several methods of mould making and casting were needed. To make a wax replica of the MDF model, I poured hot melt vinyl rubber (Vinamold) over the original to make a negative mould (Fig 2)  for casting the wax replica - to be used in a process called lost wax casting.
Fig 2  Vinamold forming a negative moulding of original model. Photo by Amy Bodiam

I really liked the playful qualities of the Vinamold (Fig 3) - flexible, durable, soft and able to bend around curves. This inspired me to cast the model in rubber as well as in glass.

Fig 3  Vinamold relief surface. Photo by Amy Bodiam

Having successfully made a wax replica, I prepared the final mould; a plaster and flint mix suitable for high temperatures in the kiln. Using a build up of clay, I made a funnel shape (Fig 4) to form a refractoy opening for the lumps of glass to be stacked and melt into the mould. After casting the plaster and flint mould, I removed the clay funnel and steamed away the wax model- a process called lost wax casting.  The heat resistant mould was then placed into the kiln at 1000 degrees Celsius and fired overnight. The stacked glass melts and flows though the funnel filling the mould.

Fig 4  Plaster and flint cast with remenants of the clay funnel. Photo by Katy Rumm

After firing, the glass sculpture needs to be cut and polished to create a beautiful finish. This can take several weeks! I soaked the piece in coca cola to remove any debris left over from the mould and polished some of the circle reliefs for a smoother more transparent finish. Some areas I sand blasted to create a more matt and opaque finish, highlighting the contrast between the rough and the smooth finish. (Fig 5) I tested the sculpture's illuminosity, moving it under different lighting conditions. It can appear clear, translucent or solid depending on the time of day. 
Fig 5  Glass sculpture after a kiln firing lit by dalight from behind. Photo by Amy Bodiam 
Fig 6  Bubbles (trapped air in the casting process)  were encouraged and add to it's magical qualities. Photo by Amy Bodiam
Fig 7  A continued exploration now with colour; cast glass pigmented with violet  powder. Photo by Amy Bodiam
So pleased with the results, glass really is magical! I'll now continue to cast the design at a bigger scale and also cast it in various other materials. I'm curious to see whether plastics, such as acrylic and resin which are cheaper and lighter in weight will have the same properties as glass; and if so then what is their life span ? Does plastic last forever? Will it rot, degrade or discolour? 
How will it's illuminousity be affected?

©Amy Sullivan-Bodiam




No comments: